Sunday, March 29, 2009

03.27.09 show


El-B is an artist often mentioned as an inspiration to many of the dubstep producers I listen to. When I first heard the El-B tracks on Dubstep Allstars Vol. 1, I wasn't impressed, in fact a bit disappointed. I expected a more crushing, louder, wobwobwob bass sound similar to Loefah, Skream, Benga, and the lot. Yet, I kept reading his name as one of the originators of the dubstep sound, along with Horsepower Productions and Zed Bias, so I kept his file open, so to speak.

When Tempa records announced the release of the Roots of El-B compilation, and posted audio clips from the vinyl sampler, and cd, I listened to them. And listened again. And again. And then, finally, I understood; the complex drumming, the sub-bass, and the the swing. Nine years late, but that's me.

boomkat.com has a nice description of the soon to be released cd and some history here.

You can listen again to all four songs from the vinyl sampler I played on this weeks show at the start of the 12am hour, 03.28.09, on zbconline.com audio archives.



A few weeks ago, a listener called asking if I could recommend some contemporary dub reggae, and I replied, "um...Twilight Circus?" And then I went blank. So, I've been trying to step up my game and add some more current dub sounds to my playlist. Although I'm finding it difficult to overcome my bias that dub has to be recorded in Jamaica, during the mid 1970's to early 1980's, and remixed by an engineer from master tapes of rhythm tracks, I did find some artists I like.

I started this show off with tracks by Ticklah from 2007, Dry & Heavy with King Jammy from 2000, Twilight Circus from 2003, 4th Avenue Rockers from 2001. I'll continue searching from some good dub from 2009, but it could take nine years.

No comments:

Post a Comment